-- --

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Peeking into Paron's Fabrics, the Garment District

Parons, nyc
Photo by myself at 39th Street and Eighth Avenue, in the Garment District.

A photo pre-Sandy.

The fabric and notion stores in the Garment District are vanishing one by one. Paron's is one of my favorites. It just recently moved from 40th Street to 37th Street, and sell a range of fabrics and patterns to the public.

Paron's discounts some of its fabrics by as much as 50%. They carry some fabrics used by high end designers like Tessuti, Calvin Klein and DKNY. You can see the rolls and rolls of stuff inside, arranged by fabric weave and fiber content.

--
Yesterday, my fiance Mark ventured into the city for work. He found a car service that drove him in. On the way home, he took a convoluted journey on the subway. (The 6 in Soho to Brooklyn Bridge, to the 4 to Atlantic/Pacific in Brooklyn, to the R train to Park Slope).

Mark's project was delayed by the storm, so he has to work weekends to meet their deadline. He works in advertising and they are rushing to fill a Thanksgiving air date. People are still waiting in line for gas for hours.

Meanwhile, I was all set to go in for photos. I had my bag, my water, my big camera, and comfy shoes.

I took the R train to Jay Street and was prepared to walk over the Manhattan Bridge, when I realized I'd forgotten to put the *@#%! battery in my camera.

Oy!! Major fail. I will try again today.

ps: Our building donated a ton of warm clothing to folks in Red Hook, and many of us are helping with a bake sale to raise funds.

While Park Slope escaped without too much damage, the temperatures are dropping here to the 30's at night. Red Hook is only a couple miles away and it was seriously flooded.

Related posts: Death & Co., Behind Closed Doors, Daredevil Tattoo, on Ludlow Street, and Hippy Sign, on Prince Street.

3 comments:

biebkriebels said...

That is terrible to forget your battery. I can imagine how you felt! It takes a long time to restore everything I am afraid. At least they cancelled the Marathon.
It was a stupid idea to say it would go on. Now many people made the expensive trip to NY in vain.

Kitty said...

Oh my gosh, Bieb, I completely agree. Canceling the marathon was a decision that should have been made a while ago.

This is one reason why I don't completely agree with Bloomberg. He is a business guy and is set on attracting tourism and getting money into the city, at the sake of people who live here and small businesses.

I'm sure all NYers feel badly about those runners who spent so much money to come here. Honestly, not all of us are about making a buck.

Anonymous said...

Since they were in the city it would have been nice to see some of the runners do some volunteer work. Sorry if I sound harsh, but some of the comments I heard from them were not all that nice to the city.