-- --

Monday, November 5, 2012

Asleep, Beside the East River

Asleep along the East River
Photo by myself near the East River, downtown.

A fellow napped on a bench outside, Sunday afternoon. You can see the Brooklyn Bridge and Financial District off in the distance.

Above the bike lane on the right is the FDR Expressway, where cars whizz up and down the east edge of Manhattan.

--
I wandered around the Lower East Side and Soho for a little bit, Sunday afternoon. I expected to see a mess along the East River from the hurricane, but everything looked fine, with just a few more twigs and leaves than usual.

Sundays are typically quiet in the city, but this day was very quiet. I saw a few tourists, some storekeepers sprucing up and several sanitation trucks on the road. Many folks were running and strolling in the parks along the water.

Fortunately for everyone, the Marathon was cancelled at the last minute. I can't imagine what it would have been like with news crews everywhere and people trying to get to different parts of the race with the little mass transit there was.

One of my neighbors volunteered in the Rockaways, Queens, where there the electricity is still out (!). He described it as a 'war zone'.

The only subways running between Brooklyn and Manhattan are the 4, 5 and 6 trains right now. I can only imagine the madhouse it will be during rush hour on Monday. Oy!

Related posts: At Night, Along the East River, Gone Fishin, Along the East River, and View from the Barge, on the East River.

5 comments:

Olivier said...

la vie reprend petit a petit et surtout j’espère que les gens vont tous récupérer l’électricité, car ils annoncent du mauvais temps pour la fin de semaine.

dianasfaria.com said...

when I think of what was happening near this bench just a week before, it reminds me of how life can change in an instant.

Brianna Asaro Photography said...

My hearts go out to those in NYC still without power. After living there, I can't imagine what it would be like... I think "war zone" describes it well. Glad everyone seems to be okay otherwise. New Yorkers are made of tough stuff.

Terry at Blue Kitchen said...

I was delighted to hear about many of the marathoners who had come to town for the race getting involved in helping with the cleanup of Sandy's aftermath.

Marcia said...

I agree with Terry, it WAS great to hear that some runners did not whine, but instead used their energy to volunteer.