-- --

Thursday, September 20, 2012

42nd and Fifth, in Midtown

42nd Street, nyc
Photo by myself, at 42nd Street and Fifth Avenue, in Midtown.

We had a perfect Fall day, Monday. The light seems much more autumnal, with more pronounced shadows and a golden-ish glow.

The above photo was taken at 42nd Street and Fifth Avenue, a very busy intersection in Midtown. Lots of people stroll down Fifth Avenue, and 42nd Street is a major commuter hub, with Grand Central Terminal on the east end and Port Authority bus terminal on the west. (Here, I am facing east).

To my right, out of frame, is the large white headquarters of the New York Public Library. Ahead, is the Chrysler Building. The windows next to the 'No Turns' sign belong to it.

The above photo was tweaked for color. I de-saturated the colors quite a bit.

Related posts: A Dollar and a Dream, Holy Smokes in the East Village, and From the Corner Deli, in Soho.

9 comments:

Olivier said...

la 42th street et son BB King Club, j'aime cet endroit pour finir tranquillement les soirees

Andy said...

It looks like only person noticed you taking the photo. It's surprising how many people are not aware their surroundings. There's nothing wrong with tweaking your photos. If you are shooting in jpg that camera does a lot of tweaking for you.

s.c said...

Ha the spirit on the streets in New York. I love it.

Rose ~ from Oz said...

Kitty you just know I'm going to say it (it seems I always do with your people shots) but the only person who seems aware of you is the bloke in the cap, and then I'm not really sure. I am seriously becoming obsessed with how you are achieving this! :) ;)

biebkriebels said...

Very nice picture. The woman at the right looks so typical dutch to me. Her tall stature, the pants and the sandals, can't miss!

Terry at Blue Kitchen said...

Kitty, I love the random energy of this picture. You've put me right in one of my favorite places to be--not specifically at 42nd and Fifth Avenue, but on the streets of New York. Our last visit last spring, we hit the Uniqlo mothership on Fifth Avenue twice, so we were up and down that street a lot. Thanks for giving me a nice NY fix!

Brianna Asaro Photography said...

One of my favorite places in New York. Always a hustle and bustle.

RedPat said...

Great autumn light. One of my favourite songs - "Autumn in New York"!

Anonymous said...

Heartbeat Hello from Czech Republic to New York people :D