-- --

Monday, January 2, 2012

Riding Along Lafayette Street, in Soho

Lafayette Street, NYC
Photo by myself on Lafayette Street and Bleeker Street.

Many stores and restaurants were closed on Sunday, New Year's Day.

People were walking around, regardless. Mark, Rupert and I went into the city, since it was sunny and felt oddly like Spring. The brave couple above rode their bikes in traffic, without helmets.

--

It used to be that Lafayette Street felt like the edge of the world.

Lafayette is a wide-ish street that runs north-south. Pedestrians are sensitive to the width of streets, and some of the stores along Lafayette were industrial and not inviting. Walking around Soho, you used to get to Lafayette, then stop and turn around.

Not so, today. There are clothing stores and eateries along the street. Soho continues, east of Lafayette, with more fancy boutiques.

Related posts: Strung Along, in Soho, Down Broadway, and Outside 190 Bowery, in Soho.

4 comments:

andrea said...

Hi Kitty,
Happy new year !
I read all your post, I love do it. I love New York and I enjoy reading. I have been to NY many times but when I read your post, I always learn something new about the city or remember some experience. It's like I would be there. Nice.
Please, keep writing !
Best Wishes
Andrea from Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Olivier said...

les velos prennent de plus en plus de place dans la ville de NYC et je trouve cela tres bien

dianasfaria.com said...

Happy New Year Kitty! I've missed visiting you & your amazing photos. I can see you are only getting better all the time.
Hope your 2012 is an awesome year for you & yours.

Cheri said...

I live in rural Oklahoma and although I have travel to some places in Europe I have never been to NYC. I would love to visit someday but until then your photos are the next best thing. I love the daily life and scenes you photo. Thanks, Cheri