-- --

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

How's About a Game?

Chess player, NYC
Photo by myself in Washington Square Park.

One frigid day recently, I saw this gentleman, who challenging people to play chess for money. He allowed me to take his photograph.

Alongside on the table were a radio and a timer, like the ones you see in games of speed chess.

I would have played, if I weren't such a terrible player and if it weren't so cold, ha.

Related posts: Serious Fun, in Bryant Park, Playing in the Rain, Union Square and City Portrait - Washington Square Park.

8 comments:

Olivier said...

si cela se trouve, a une époque il a joué contre Bobby Fischer incognito...beau portrait

Pat said...

I'm a lousy chess player, but like you, it looks too cold to play. He must be pretty confident he'll make some bucks.

Ming the Merciless said...

Over the years, I've seen quite a few people playing chess in the Washington Square Park but I have never really stopped to find out what the deal is until an out-of-town guest decided to sit down and play a game with one of them. They wanted $5 per game. Ouch!

Eva said...

You really have to love chess to play it outside in this cold.

As always, you got a great frame kitty :-)

dianasfaria.com said...

this man is one dedicated chess player.

Sue's Place said...

He must really need the money or just really love the game.

Lou said...

I agree with the other comments...he's either desperate for money, a dedicated player or erm...desperate!

Looks bloody cold there. Great pic as usual. :)

Hans said...

I bet this guy is from the Caucasus Region, as they're here fanatic with chess.