-- --

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Brunching on St. Mark's Place

Cafe Mogador, East Village
Photo by myself in the East Village, around St. Mark's Place and Avenue A.

A line of hungry people waited outside Cafe Mogador for brunch. Brunch here is a lengthy social occasion, and often involves mimosas and much planning.

Do these people look like they could be on tv or what? They are so photogenic. I will have to take photos of non-photogenic people in New York next time, just to prove they exist.

--

Many New Yorkers are thinner than the national average because we tend to walk so much. Most, except the very privileged or the very lazy, walk to the subway morning, noon and night. Many also belong to gyms, though whether we go is another thing.

Lately I've been going to the gym every day. I feel fantastic. As a reward, I allow myself to gloat about it, (mostly to coworkers, who cannot do anything but put up with me).

I happen to be 5'-3 1/2" on a good day. Five pounds on me is the difference between being a square and being a rectangle. The gym routine is helping, slowly.

I highly recommend the gym for one's health and sanity. Be a rectangle, folks!

Related posts: Variety = Spice of Life, Beware of Cat, East Village and Yet Another Street Fair, Bleeker Street.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I've dropped 31 pounds since moving to New York; the first 26 were from all the walking (I live 3/4 of a mile from the subway) and the last five have been since eating more vegetarian meals. When the women in my office complain about not having time for the gym, eventually one of them remembers that changing their walking route to a longer set for a couple of weeks can help those extra few pounds slide off. Kudos to you for your regular exercise!

Kitty said...

Lissa, 31 lbs is astounding, just from walking alone. I'm impressed. And the vegetarianism is good for everyone.

A sedentary job will do it every time. Better to be out working the fields!

fishwithoutbicycle said...

That's a great photo Kitty. It perfectly captures weekends in New York.

Congrats on going to the gym so often Kitty. I remember the days when I would go 6 days out of 7. I wish I had the time to get back into the habit. My only saving grace is that I walk a 7mile round trip to work almost every day, so I am staving off a few pounds I hope.

Virginia said...

Kitty,
I long to be a rectangle again!! At my age, things tend to gravitate to the middle! C'est dommage.

I love your great BW today. So typical NYC and so metro! I love your blog. Sorry I don't get here as much as I'd like. You know how that is. I"ll be back my friend.
V

Christchurch Photo Diary said...

Just finished the desk job and bought a treadmill (I don't like gyms). Planning to elongate too!

Kitty said...

Fish, I'd love to walk to work. That sounds like such a stress buster, though the sidewalks can be crazy, too.

Hope you can get back into the gym routine soon, dear!

Hello Ms Virginia!
I'm sure you're more of a rectangle than you think. I've been terrible at visiting your blog, too, and it's a shame. You take lovely photos.

Hallo Christchurch
Good for you for exercising! You must have space to have a treadmill at home. We have no such luxury hereabouts, all on top of each other, lol.

Dave said...

Upon reading your post, I am now eager to go back to gym. I think it's about time to take care of my health.

Kitty said...

Dave, I'm so glad my post affected you in a good way, lol.

Exercise is like that - you feel good and want everyone else to feel good, too. I hope you feel good!