-- --

Friday, October 30, 2009

Touring About Fifth Avenue, Midtown

Tourists, Fifth Avenue
Photo by myself on Fifth Avenue, around 55th Street.

I took this photo while in a cab on Fifth Avenue.

A group of Europeans were enjoying the afternoon. Some sat on the sidewalk. (I knew they weren't American because I could hear them speaking from where I was sitting in a cab. But I wasn't alert enough to discern the language).

The sidewalks were packed with people milling around, shopping and just taking in the day. Fifth Avenue, after all, is the site of many high-end stores such as Bergdorf Goodman, Henri Bendel, Takashimaya and Saks Fifth Avenue.

--

Thursday afternoon I managed to see the legendary television interviewer Barbara Walters near Central Park. She was walking fearlessly through traffic in the middle of the street, hailing a cab. She looked tiny and wore heavy black-rimmed glasses and a bright red coat.

Unfortunately I was in a cab myself and couldn't get my camera out in time. Drat!

Next time I'll have to have my camera out just for those impromptu celebrity sightings.

Related posts: On Times Square and Our Rupert, Wet and Not So Wonderful, Downtown and On Tippy Toe, Union Square.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look for Barbara with your camera out next time. It might be a better day. I don't know what the guy has for a rear end but his pants look blank in the back. lol

Locomotiva said...

I smiled when I read "europeans".

I heard many people pretending NOT to look like a stranger in NYC - and for sure not a tourist.
But they look more or less exactly as the people in your photo.

Near the door of any school in Italy you may find the same people, same backpack, same jacket, same used and low waisted denim.
I don't see any cellphone, so maybe thet aren't italians...

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Oh good celeb spot.

I looked at your photo and immediately pegged them as French kids, they have that Gallic air about them and there seems to be an awful lot of French speakers in town right now. Many of them seem to be here for the marathon and I've lost count of the number of times I've had a near miss with a garish lycra clad tourist on my walk into work every morning. I will be glad when this weekend is over and we're once again down to a mere 8million people ;-)