-- --

Friday, July 17, 2009

On South Ferry and Shelter Island

South Ferry, NYC
Photo by myself at the southern tip of Manhattan.

Fishermen had cast their lines into the ocean and were waiting for the first nibble. Beyond, the Statue of Liberty.

--

Mark and I are off for a long weekend in Shelter Island, for a friend's wedding. I'm looking forward to the trip. Shelter Island is one of my favorite places and we're bound to have a nice, relaxing time.

On the eastern end of Long Island, Shelter Island is not directly accessible by car. We'll have to drive, then board a ferry. The island is covered with pretty lawns and quiet country roads and old houses.

Shelter Island a popular summer spot for New Yorkers, but not nearly as crowded a scene as the Hamptons. I'll take some photos while I'm there.

Meanwhile, I'll be bringing my computer and I'll continue posting here. Happy Friday, everyone!

Related posts: The View of Liberty, Gone Fishin and Greetings from New York.

6 comments:

James said...

Cool photo.

Have a great weekend.
I look forward to seeing the pictures.

dianasfaria.com said...

that sounds like fun Kitty. Love the colors and mood in this picture.

• Eliane • said...

I love to see those people fishing. I always find that fascinating that it is also a New York hobby.

Banjo52 said...

So do you think Shelter Island is East Egg or West Egg? Sorry, Kitty--remember, I love Gatsby too. If it turns out to be a Gatsby-esque affair, I think we need to hear about it.

Kitty said...

Thanks James!

Thanks Lily
it was a very moody day that day.

Hi Eliane
yes isn't it funny? Try to strike up a conversation with the fisher-people. They like to talk about what they catch but can be a bit camera shy.

Hi Banjo
That's an interesting idea. Very possibly, West and East Egg were Greenport and Shelter Island, separated by water.

But I'll have to get back to the book. Wasn't there a difference between the towns? I thought there was an unspoken economical distinction.

Banjo52 said...

About Gatsby and the Eggs, you're right. East Egg is the old money (Tom and Daisy), while West Egg is the new money (read, tasteless, crass), where Gatsby and Nick live.

I think there's some debate about whether they represent any two islands in real life, then or now.