-- --

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Looking Up at Times Square

In Times Square
Photo by myself in Times Square, around 47th Street and Broadway.

It's not uncommon for people to walk around this area of town pointing.

--

Yes, starting a couple weeks ago, a large portion of Times Square has been closed to traffic.

Broadway has been shut down between 42nd and 47th Streets, to create a pedestrian zone. For now, the area has been dubbed Bloomberg Beach by the New York Daily News, after our mayor, who made the change. The area is also littered with lounge chairs.

According to my boyfriend Mark, the change has been for the better. Broadway runs diagonal at this point, and runs into Seventh Avenue. Pedestrians tried to cross the street while cars tried to make their turns. It was an absolute mess that drivers learned to avoid.

I have to wonder, though, whether this city is headed toward becoming completely pedestrian. Only time will tell.

For a video showing the traffic-free zone, click here.

Related posts: Life in the Balance, Uggs in Times Square and From the Great White Way.

10 comments:

Unseen India Tours said...

This Place Seems To Be Very Famous !! Every One Is Looking At It So Amazingly...Hey Kitty !! I Have Got Smthing For You...Please Check My Blog For Surprise !!!unseenrajasthan.blogspot.com

Tiago said...

A city without cars...I love the idea!

Olivier said...

je suis impatient de voir times-square sans voiture. Je trouve que c'est une bonne idée. Mais tout NYC sans voiture, je pense que c'est impossible.
I am impatient to see times-small public gardens without car. I find that it is a good idea. But all NYC without car, I think that it is impossible.

Anonymous said...

I love both the old and new Times Square. Haven't been down there since part of it has been closed. Must feel unusual.

Paz

dianasfaria.com said...

you've captured people looking relaxed in NY. It's a miracle.

Ken Mac said...

i hope this Yonkers styled backyward party soon. Yeechhh. This is Time Square! not Omaha...

Rajesh said...

Beautiful. People seems to busy a lot in their own world.

Laurent said...

That's a great idea and I could not imagine that they'll do it in Times Square. I'm really looking forward to seeing it next october.

Bryan said...

The link to the traffic-free zone video has a typo that causes it to fail when clicked. There is an extra h at the beginning:

hhttp://www.gnn.com/article/times-square-goes-traffic-free/500469

Thanks for the great photo blog.

Kitty said...

Thanks Unseen Rajasthan, for the award!
I will have to post about this soon.

Hi TC
I actually hope it doesn't happen. It'd be crazy to get to meetings only via subway or on foot. But who knows? Anything can happen.

Hi Olivier
I agree with you. What would they do with all the tour busses? C'est impossible!

Hi Paz
We drove around the pedestrian area, so I'd be curious to know what it's like, too. I'm sure it's similar to the Flatiron area, which also has cafe seating.

You'd think you'd feel vulnerable sitting on little chairs near the whizzing traffic, but actually it's ok.

Ha, Lily. Thanks.

Hi Ken
You're old school, like myself. I prefer the neighborhood not catering to tourists, too. The neighborhoods should be geared more toward those living in the area.

Thanks Rajesh!

Laurent, have a wonderful time visiting.

October is typically a prime time to come. I hope you have lovely weather. Usually there are some gorgeous sunny and cool days, little rain and little humidity.

Thanks so much Bryan, for catching my typo. D'oh!