-- --

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

It's a Free Country, After All

Herald Square, NYC
Photo by myself near Herald Square, around 34th Street and 6th Avenue.

Some visitors to New York encounter one man's demonstration. A man with a sign stood on a well-trafficked street corner, proclaiming his religious views.

--

I've written before that New Yorkers either offer their opinion quite freely or they say nothing at all.

Part of living in a city is encountering people of many persuasions, beliefs and backgrounds. There's no shortage of diversity, and diversity is another word for equality - everyone is entitled to his or her very different point of view.

In this city, you can express whatever you like, however you wish. You can walk down the street wearing next to nothing at all, and no one will stop you.

Hey, people may not even notice.

Related posts: Tibetans of the World, Unite, On A Public Mugging, or a Gimmick Gone Wrong and Peace to All.

8 comments:

chimesey said...

I see Alcohol and Drugs are on the t-shirt, but missing from the sign. Hmm. I wonder why...

Olivier said...

la liberté de parole, oui en effet.....si on peut discuter....

ChickenUnderwear said...

I saw him a few weeks ago. I thought he was advertising a new night club. Lots of fun activities!!!

valeria said...

Funny! do you think it's just his own idea or he is part of some congregation?

Terry at Blue Kitchen said...

You're absolutely right about New Yorkers being ready to share opinions. I've gotten into more spontaneous brief conversations with strangers in New York than in any other city. New Yorkers get a bad rap for being cold. Often, they're quite gregarious, just at a faster pace than other places.

J.C. said...

Like Valerie, I am curious if this is his own opinion or that of his congregation? He is brave to go out to the street and tell the world his religious beliefs. Not many would do that!

Anonymous said...

haha I was ticking the things off - thinking "yep, that's me".

But I love the same things about London. No-one notices. I could go out in my bikini when it was minus 15 and no-one would comment. Here, in a small city, you only need to wear something slightly odd, a bright red jacket and people will say "ooh that's bright" or something daft.

Anonymous said...

Oh and Happy New Year! Sorry, I almost forgot!