-- --

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Wednesday Portraits - Central Park Nature News

Dog
Photo by myself of a dog on the sidewalk.

This beautiful creature ignored me completely. He was too busy waiting for his master to return.

--

At first glance, Nature and the big city don't seem compatible.

About a month ago, Mark and I stopped at a red light in Park Slope, Brooklyn. There, perched on the traffic light was a red tailed hawk. It was enormous, but Mark and I were probably the only ones who noticed, since most people are too busy looking ahead at the traffic, pedestrians, street life and all else. The hawks feed on the city's huge pigeon population and can be seen sometimes circling high above the skyline.

For my sometimes Wednesday Portrait series, I'm showcasing a site that posts regularly about our animal friends. Marie Winn, at Marie Winn's Central Park Nature News, writes daily about the real natives of New York.

Red tail hawks also make their homes in Central Park. Pale Male made celebrity status when his nest was threatened at its location on Fifth Avenue. The fancy co-op building wished to remove his nest, causing protests from the birding community that were broadcast on the the evening news.

Pale Male and his present mate are still going strong. Marie's blog reports on his brood almost daily. She also posts about the harbor seals that visit the west side of Manhattan, rare bird species spotted by avid New York birdwatchers and anything else that's wild and newsworthy.

It's nice to know that nature is thriving alongside us. Enjoy!

Wednesday Portraits is an ongoing, not so regular installment on this site, featuring other New York blogs.

11 comments:

Jilly said...

What a handsome dog. You captured him well and that beautiful faithful look in his eye. Thanks for the link to Marie Winn's blog. That's a nice idea.

Anonymous said...

The dog looks like his ears have been clipped. I wonder how long it will be before people start clipping off body parts without making the headlines?

The dog is beautiful and I admire him or her for that. What a nice dog it is.

Imagine this:
Take a picture of your car with your seated in it, going down the super highway at 65 mph. I just put this on my Brookville blog this morning.

Kitty said...

Thank you Jilly and welcome!
I'm an animal lover, and it's great to see photos of nature. :-)

Hallo Lincoln!
I don't understand the ear clipping. I know people do it for 'aesthetic' reasons, but really...it's all subjective.

can't wait to see your photo!!

Mike said...

Hello! That is a beautiful shot you have of him.

Fredrik said...

wow!

Mom Knows Everything said...

What a pretty dog. Did I tell have 6 new puppies? I know I'm animal crazy. LOL!!!

Kitty said...

Hello there Mike and thanks!

Thanks Fredrik!

Tammy, I can't believe your little zoo. How fun it must be at your house?

Ha Ha Sound said...

I'll add to the chorus of people praising the photo. It's great. I love his eyes. He looks so smart and regal.

sonia a. mascaro said...

Wow! That is a very nice photo! At first sight I thought he was a bronze statue! Love his honey color eyes!

Nikon said...

Beautiful shot with lots of hints of color.

Kitty said...

Thanks Ha Ha, Sonia and Nikon!
I love his markings too, whatever it's called. You don't see it often.