-- --

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Taxi Driver


I googled ‘New York’ and ‘blog’ and ‘writing’ last night and what did I get?

For one, a neat blog called New York Hack by a woman who posts her daily life as a cab driver in New York. Her profile has been viewed (at this writing) 82,715 times. Um, whoa.

For some reason, I remember hearing that there were only three women cab drivers in New York. Or maybe that someone had only encountered three. Personally, I don’t remember how many female cabbies I’ve seen. Two? At least one. I know I’ve stopped in my tracks at least once and thought to myself, ‘Oh, neat.’

The amazing thing is that this female cabbie has written a book about her job and it’s coming out in late August. Its perfect title: ‘Hack: How I Stopped Worrying About What To Do With My Life and Started Driving A Yellow Cab.’.

Hello??? How much more cool could it get?!?

Throwing down the gauntlet of the expected and becoming a cab driver, the rare female kind. The thought appeals to me, as I’m sure it appeals to many (hence the 82,715 profile views) – every day different, meeting people, the element of danger, an unstructured workplace. Encountering bite-sized adventures while driving in a place only slightly calmer than Super Marioland. At least she doesn’t have to constantly find parking spaces.

This brings to mind an article I’d read about someone who’d given up his law career to sell hotdogs in front of the building of his old law firm. I’d told my mom the story when I was in the midst of my ‘Wouldn’t-it-be-great-to-open-a-small-boutique’ phase.

Needless to say she didn’t think it’d be great, and she didn’t think much of the lawyer-turned-hotdog guy. I remember her raised eyebrows and incomprehensible mutterings about college tuition.

Oh well. One can always dream.


Photo by Bugged Out Cars. For more great images, click here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mom Knows Everything said...

Hi, I'm tagging you with a meme. I hope you don't mind.

Kitty said...

Hi Tammy!
I just visited your site. It's been a while.
Thanks for tagging me. I've been on an admittedly long hiatus and need a kick in the pants.

I'll look up what a meme is and be back this weekend.

cheers!

Spandrel Studios said...

Having had those small-boutique and hotdog-stand thoughts from time to time... unfortunately, the kinds of things I'd want to sell in a boutique (handmade jewelry, modern housewares, letterpress cards) don't appeal to the widest demographic.

But no matter how bad the economy gets, everyone can at least afford a hot dog.